Tuesday, March 26, 2024

I had my second follow up appointment on Friday concerning my wrist. Except for when driving, I'm now not using my splint. And soon I will stop using it even for that.

My next medical appointment will include a bone density test. Both the ortho surgeon who originally saw me after I fell and the PA both suspect that I have osteoporosis. They both feel that the fall I described to them does not normally warrant the kind of injury I had.

This is not the first time I have heard the word osteoporosis in connection to my health. I gained 20 pounds during Covid, but in my 20s I was actually underweight a little bit and I didn't get my cycle for years.

I was told back then that I would be at risk for getting osteoporos if I didn't start getting my cycle regularly. Through acupuncture I was able to get my cycle again and get my health back to where it should've been. 

After that point through most of the rest of my 20s and my 30s and early 40s I ate well. I would fix healthy food and cook and bake and rarely ate out.

But in my mid to late 40s my anxieties started to flare up again pretty bad which affected my appetite and how I took care of myself. It was also in my late 40s that I started drinking regularly and I know that alcohol can also affect bone health.

When I fell and broke my wrist it made me think about the things that I needed to change. And my pre-op physical results only compounded that.

Where once I had extremely low blood pressure I now found I was on the borderline for high. And my blood sugar was also pretty bad, it turns out.

I realize now that I started gaining all my weight when I started drinking, and I'm hoping that now that I'm cutting back on drinking and eating better that I can lose the weight and reverse the damage that I've done to my body.

When I think back to my happiest time in my life, It was the late 90s. I was on my own for the first time and I had a pretty good thing going with my personal and professional life. I rarely had anxiety and I liked people so much

Now I find myself struggling to get through days at work so that I can be with my cat the rest of the time.

Don't get me wrong: I adore my cat. I consider him the love of my life, but I want to be so much more functional than I am.

I feel like a fraud and I don't know what the duck I'm doing. If people already can't see that, then they soon will, and that scares me so much

No comments: