Monday, May 4, 2009

Long Distance


Can you be haunted by an album...listen to it more than a dozen times and never tire of it, feel that it has helped you through bad times and good times, improved your heart rate and your dreams?

If you don't think so or you're not sure, you should give Ivy's LONG DISTANCE a try. I kid you not when I say it will never be away from your music player for very long. Repeated listens never dull the album, but instead enrich it.

The album is beauty in slow motion, a perfect production that is every bit as natural as breathing and it's so wonderful you might think you imagined it.

Track by track, LONG DISTANCE never disconnects. There are the vulnerable dreamboat songs like "Edge of the Ocean," "Let's Stay Inside," "Midnight Sun" and "One More Last Kiss" (this is where I almost gasp it's so wonderful. I picture myself at the beach, utterly at peace, the sky blue, the breeze a friendly tease.)

Then Dominique Durand walks on air with more uptempo (but equally relaxing) songs like "Blame it On Yourself" (very catchy!!), "Lucy Doesn't Love You" and "I Think of You."

I'm not saving the best for last (everything here is "best for last"!!)so much as I'm saving the most devastating for last...the songs that should scorch your heart with sadness, but somehow don't because Ivy reminds us that even when things are bad, there's still loveliness in life.

One example of this is the brilliantly ironic (but not cynical) "While We're in Love." In the wrong hands, this ballad could be mean-spirited, but here it is utterly beguiling and heart-wrenching with its sincere, realistic look at the fleeting happiness of relationships. It's also very mystical and alluring, two qualities familiar to any Ivy fan.

There is no poison to be found in Ivy's music, just lots of time for reverie...It even ends on a playful note with the sweet "Digging Your Scene."

How I adore this album...it's hard to explain just how transforming the listening experience can be! My review could never do it justice...All I can do is ask you to listen and then, THEN you'll hear for yourself.

No comments: