Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Sellout
Macy Gray, whose gravelly voice and quirky charms have somehow always oddly calmed me, really delivers on her new album The Sellout. It's rare that I like every song on an album, especially in the digital age when you can be impatient and picky about wading through an entire CD. But tracks such as the highly danceable "Lately" and tough girl optimistic "Beauty in the World' have me listening over and over again. Not since she sang with Beck on her album The Trouble with Being Myself have I felt such a thrill at hearing new Macy Gray.

I close my eyes to "Lately" and not just the words, not just the music, but the whole spirit of it gets to me. It's about a woman who dumped her boyfriend because she was terribly insecure and now that she's got her act together  (she's popular and "been comin up like a palm tree") she wants him back. I love the way the chorus swirls round and round like great disco songs do and the male background's cynically chanting "uh huh" brings it all together.

No comments: