Thursday, July 8, 2010

Electric Blue / Over My Head 45 rpmShattered Dreams (2008 Digital Remaster)

Yesterday I was shopping at Whole Foods when the song "Electric Blue" came on over their loud speaker. It had been ages ago (maybe since it first was released?) that I'd last heard it and suddenly (against my will) I flashed to late 1987.

It's weird how certain songs and smells can send your mind reeling back to the past...as though both are some metaphysical form of time travel...not a metaphor for it...but actual time travel.

"Electric Blue" was a one-hit-wonder type deal by the group Icehouse and (to me, at least) sounded a lot like another late 80s hit called "Shattered Dreams" by Johnny Hates Jazz (also a group that never had another big hit again.) Both songs have this harmless enough sound, but somehow have the power to make me want to look for the nearest exit...the memories associated with them are sometimes too much.

Of course, I've found that "overexposure" to 'bad memory songs' can work wonders. I used to feel the same way about "Hungry Like the Wolf" by Duran Duran...but one day I sat down and played that song over and over until it lost its power and now whenever the song takes me by surprise I'm just fine:)

No comments: