Friday, September 10, 2010

E.S.P.
I first discovered E.S.P. as a cassette way back in 1987, when I passionately loved the Bee Gees due to what might have been a tad unhealthy and possibly outdated fascination with the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

E.S.P. never really did that well here in the States; overseas it charted considerably higher (it reached #1 in Germany and Switzerland and #5 in the U.K.) Long forgotten by anyone other than a diehard Bee Gees fan and considered a flop if remembered at all, the cd (to me, at least) is remarkably well-aged and definitely deserving of a 21st century listen.

Not too long ago I purchased it off of Amazon as an import. It had been a long time since I'd given it a good listen and I was amazed at how modern it is...how more appropriate it sounds now then it did back when most people still associated the Gibb brothers with disco.

There are soft and sweet songs like "Angela," which is pretty and likable, but not a stand-out when compared to the haunting title track. "Giving Up the Ghost" (as oddly compelling and unlike the Bee Gees' normal sound as "E.S.P.") is my favorite!


No comments: