Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Baker (written by Ivy)
"Baker" by Ivy is a very sad, very lovely song about a man who has wasted so much time in his life, he's now "wasting away." Perhaps nothing symbolizes that kind of waste more than pining away for someone who doesn't love you, who has never loved you.

When I was younger I always seemed to be in the grips of some kind of unrequited love or another. And nowhere was that worse than in high school. But of course when you're that young and naive and (as studies have suggested) your prefrontal lobe has yet to be fully developed, what else can you expect?

I hope that "prefrontal lobe" theory is correct, it certainly seems to be. The last time I made myself sick or made a fool of myself over someone else was back in my early 20s.

It's not to say that just because we handle our feelings more maturely as we get older that our hearts don't hurt just as much as they did way back when. We just put on a better show of seeming not to care...I think.

No comments: