Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Collected Stories of Deborah Eisenberg
I saw a brand new copy of The Collected Stories of Deborah Eisenberg on the shelf at work the other day and grabbed it out of curiosity, never having heard of the author before.

Boy, am I glad I did. I picked it up again to read last night when I got home and have had trouble putting it down since. Ms. Eisenberg has this amazing talent for writing about things that are seemingly non-eventful (or even downright boring) and making them absolutely riveting.

It's the emotional complexity and the dark humor and the keen observations on life that make this collection unforgettable (at least, so far.)

There is something unnerving about her work, whether it's the mundane interactions between a woman and her new roomate in "Flotsam" or the awkward and taboo relationship between a high school girl and a twenty seven-year-old man in "What it Was Like, Seeing Chris.'

No comments: