Thursday, August 11, 2011

Nevermind
Am I missing something? I must be. Because the rush of accolades for Nevermind in the August issue of Spin is nothing sort of astronomic and I just don't understand why.

Of course, it probably would help if I'd heard Nirvana's album when it first came out twenty years ago, but somehow I missed that. I think I was busy somewhere else, buried away studying in college, or possibly (because that year is very blurry in my mind) spirited away somewhere else.

I actually like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (even if the title makes me want to reach for deodorant for some odd reason) as well as "In Bloom" and "Something in the Way," but really most of it sounds like any old 90s garage band to me.

I've known people who speak of Nevermind in hushed whispers and the more I listen to "Come As You Are" the more I feel hypnotized so I guess I get some of the altered state appeal.

What I did thoroughly enjoy listening to is Spin's tribute album...called Spin Presents Newermind: A Tribute. I listened to the original album several times to get a feel for it, then I listened to

this

No comments: