Thursday, August 25, 2011

Delayed gratification and my Snow Patrol problem:)

Songs for Polar BearsWhen It's All Over We Still Have to Clear Up
These are two Snow Patrol albums I had not been aware of until recently (how I missed them is a mystery!!). And I'm trying so very hard (really, I am!) to be patient and not download them off iTunes onto my iPod Touch. I have to practice self-restraint and delayed gratification even though every single cell inside my body is yearning for them. I haven't been this big a follower of a band's music since the late 80s and very early 90s when I went to at least half a dozen Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine concerts all within a three year period.

I guess the difference this time, though, is that I care a lot less about the people behind the product and more about the gorgeous music they make. I mean no offense to Gloria and her wonderful MSM, but looking back now I realize it was (for me) all about the show and (often, but not always) their lavish productions. Gloria is a very talented performer and emerged as a true survivor shortly after a devastating bus crash almost left her paralyzed, but her music doesn't speak to my heart the way Snow Patrol's does.

"Chasing Cars" (made so famous during the second season finale of Grey's Anatomy) "Cartwheels,"  "Just Say Yes" and "You Could Be Happy" are all songs that have this unbelievably deep and sincere emotional appeal.  For those who like their music happy and upbeat (something you can dance to) Snow Patrol probably is a no no...but for those nights when you feel just a little lonely and need to drown your sorrows just a little bit...

No comments: