Tuesday, March 6, 2012

 

This is an absolutely stunning collection of stories, especially "Tales of Darkness and The Unknown: Vol. XIV: The White Glove" (or more simply, "The White Glove.") It's not just the impressive, understated style but the underlying emotions and the beauty of what Steven Millhauser has to say.

"The White Glove" is a perfect example of Millhauser's wonderful writing and the story pulled me in right from the start:

"In senior year of high school I became friends with Emily Hohn. It happened quickly: one day she was that quiet girl in English class, the next we were friends. She passed in and out of my attention over the last year or so, and it was if I suddenly turned my head in her direction. I liked her calmness, her unruffled sense of herself, her way of standing as if she could feel the ground under her feet."


When I first read the opening pages of "The White Glove" I felt a little shaken and not just because of Steven Millhauser's awesome talent. 

I was struck by a few eerie similarities between his story and an experience (minus the depth of the friendship in this story) I had in high school and it reminded me of the main reason I love books so much: no matter how isolated and unique you feel the things that have happened to you are, there is always someone else who has experienced the same emotions, if not the same situation...

No comments: