Thursday, June 28, 2012

50 Shades of Double Standards

A few months ago I finished the first book in the 50 Shades trilogy. I couldn't stomach any more, not so much because of the content (television and movies have shown far worse) but because the writing is just plain bad.

I also found myself getting a little upset that many local libraries are bending over backwards to get more copies ordered, yet you'd be hard-stretched to find any GLBT fiction in their collections.

How is it a novel about a straight couple (not married nor planning to have a child) having all kinds of sex and kinky adventures can be all the rage on morning talk shows and on bestseller lists, but gay and lesbian fiction is still considered a "no no" in most mainstream bookstores and in many libraries? How is it Christian conservatives stay mum on things like this, but have a cow whenever the topic of gay marriage is brought up?

Recently, Kindle opened a whole new world to me of lesbian fiction, some of which is quality lesbian fiction, where there is genuine love and romance long before the women even consider a physical relationship.

When there's no one in your life to talk about certain topics (your straight friends say it's okay you're gay as long as you never talk about it) the right book can almost, no make that actually, save your life.

I like it when I see characters who feel like I do reflected in books (find it very helpful and healing) and though I'd prefer to find libraries carrying gay and lesbian fiction (there's certainly no shortage of violent crime novels, Zane books or other less than scrupulous subject matter at hand in them) I sigh and shrug and decide to buy my own. I'd rather make up the loss in my budget by skimping on food because books talk to me and food doesn't. Books help me feel less lonely and food does not. "Calories," as someone on my Twitter account recently tweeted,"do not heal heartache."

Books, I firmly believe, can! I find comfort in reading books by women who understand the emotions, heartache, romance and longing of being gay in a world that still has trouble accepting them.

I don't read lesbian fiction to be rebellious or to "sin,"  but to survive...because when you're surrounded by people who don't understand what it means to be gay, you can feel very lonely...


1 comment:

Lady Disdain said...

I was surprised, too, that such erotica was getting all this hysterical attention and yet no one was actually doing the typical 'o it's too outrageous, too x-rated' rant that you would usually expect.

I'm glad you're able to find solace in books. Books are the best friends. Btw, have you read any of David Levithan's works? He usually writes for a YA audience but his stories are very light-hearted and kind of refreshing in the way they display gay/lesbian relationships. Especially the books of his short stories. The great thing is he doesn't differentiate between the sexes, or the kinds of couples - and in one story you actually never find out the sexes of either characters which is brilliant because it just speaks about the capacity and pureness of love no matter how it's expressed. You should try him out :D I'd love to hear what you think. (K, sorry, this is been kinda long.)