Sunday, February 16, 2014

I'm about a third of the way through a new non-fiction book called The Dream Of The Great American Novel and I've picked up so many great ideas for future reads my head is almost spinning.  What started out a very dry read (think 19th Century American Lit textbook dry) has become fascinating and I've jotted down so many little notes on "forgotten" novels that were bestsellers of their day but became quickly forgotten as time passed.

My TBR pile for my Kindle is ridiculously expanding, but thankfully not my wallet. The great thing about so many of the novels mentioned are that they are free on Kindle. 

The Song Of The Lark by Willa Cather is something I wasn't familiar with and already I'm drawn into the story of a woman who leaves her hometown to pursue her passionate interest in the piano only to discover she is much more talented as a singer...absolutely loving it so far.

Lawrence Buell not only writes well, he shares a lot of information that would be useful to both American literature students and anyone passionate about the history of the novel. You don't have to be a former or present English major to love this, but Lawrence Buell's book may make you giddy if you are one! :)

No comments: