Monday, March 24, 2014

The Queen’s Companion is that kind of gentle and romantic read that always makes me sigh contentedly and say, "yeah, right!" at the same time. There is lots of angst and impressive reality checks (that aren't always present in other historical fiction with gay characters) in Maggi A. Petton's historical lesbian romance which only add to the novel's appeal.
There is a scene where she goes to church to pray away her feelings is so sad and all too easy to relate to:
No matter how hard she tried to extinguish them, her thoughts returned again and again to Bella…The more she tried to shake her feelings loose, the more intense they became and the more she was afraid…
She prays and prays to God until her heart aches and still she has strong feelings for Bella. THIS is why I need lesfic in my life…because it speaks to me in a way nothing (or no one) else does. Everything Catherine feels and prays to leave her body and soul…THAT is how it’s been with me whenever I've had feelings for someone I shouldn't.







Though we can't help what's in our hearts, we can help what we do those feelings. I remember reading another novel a while back that truly spoke to me. In After Mrs. Hamilton by Clare Ashton, the main character realizes her unrequited love for someone is nothing but "futile."

The passage is wonderfully written and made me think of things in more general terms that be applied to some kind of  "how to" for getting someone."Futile" is more than right because (obviously) in such situations the feelings are never going to be returned and also, to some extent in the novel but more so in a real life situation I'm all too familiar with, because since you're not a direct part of that person's life you don't really even have the right to care for them.



No comments: