Sunday, April 20, 2014
















Smother, by Wild Beasts, is perfectly titled, evoking stifled cries and what it’s like to be suffocated with so much longing that even whispers barely come out.
 
I have always been attracted to albums with the potential to break your heart. I don’t know why. I don’t particularly enjoy wallowing in sad music; I just know that when I hear a really good sad song it floods through my soul, like laughter or chills. It’s cathartic the way a really good cry is. You kind of feel better afterward.

Wild Beasts sensational album, Smother, which ended up on several “Best of 2011” album lists (including music magazines Under The Radar and Uncut), is a beautiful creature. The lead singer has a distinctive voice; I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone else sing like he does. Songs like "Albatross" and "Bed of Nails" are so gorgeous and heart-wrenching they should come with warning labels.


 I was hesitant to believe their new album Present Tense could possibly stand up to its predecessor. I'm still taking it all in and I still prefer Smother, but there's something about this present I like.

No comments: