Friday, May 9, 2014

Darn you, romantic dramas! No One finds love like this. Ever.


 
Pocket-size plot summary: Boy sees girl in an old photo from the early 1900s. Boy wants to meet girl so he goes back in time, meets girl, loses girl...the rest is up to you to discover.

(WARNING: This movie IS for the faint of heart and those who weep openly! You will cry so get those tissues out now! No shame need be involved as this will remind you of all the joys and sorrows of being in love. You might need a little aspirin for the paradoxes of time travel, but that's what makes this fun and keeps those tissues from getting completely soaked.)

Back in 1982, "Somewhere in Time" aired on network television. I sat through the film spellbound by the beautiful scenery and sincere acting. Critics in 1980 (when the theatre-run movie first opened) did not like it nor could they understand why anyone else would. At the time I was only 12, at an "impressionable" age where B movie fare such as "Xanadu" and "Grease 2" made me ooh and ah. Twenty-two years later, I still love this romantic fantasy as much as ever, even though I tend to go for more mind-bending work such as "Mulholland Drive."

What the critics don't get and what is just plain wonderful is that "Somewhere in Time" no longer carries a "bad movie stigma." The Richard Matheson-scripted film enjoys a strong following among people who love lavish cinematography and lush film scores. Quirky movie guides often list "Somewhere in Time" as a must-see. 


You don't need a book or a critic, though, when you've got that magic feeling you get from this Jeannot Szwarc-directed piece. Movies today may be a lot smarter, charge your brain better and depict our often cruel world with frightening clarity, but can you honestly remember the last time your heart was tugged at with gooey-free innocence and yearning? If not, give "Somwhere in Time" a chance.

Many who enjoy Christopher Reeve's varied film career cite "Superman" as the work that made them take notice. For me, it was his role as the good-hearted Richard Collier who goes the distance for true love and is unwilling to face its loss. Jane Seymour, the 80s tv-miniseries darling and now a beloved celebrity, proved she could lend an understated touch to her acting and a modesty that suited the 1910 setting of "Somewhere in Time."

......


No matter who you love (or hope to love someday) the below can speak to the romantic in all of us! I kind of blame "Somewhere In Time" for my ridiculous ideas about love, especially this impassioned speech character Elisa McKenna breaks out into during the middle of a play she is starring in:

The man of my dreams has almost faded now.
The one I have created in my mind.
The sort of man each woman dreams of in the deepest and most secret reaches of her heart.
I can almost see him now before me.
What would I say to him, if he were really here?
Forgive me, I have never known this feeling -
I've lived without it all my life.
Is it any wonder, then, that I failed to 
recognize you?
You - who brought it to me for the first time.
Is there any way I can tell you how my life has changed?
Any way at all to let you know what sweetness you have given me?
There is so much to say . . . I cannot find the words.
Except for these -
I love you.
Such would I say to him, if he were really here.


No comments: