Sunday, October 19, 2014

Books and Cash on Sunday...



from Uncut magazine...
Anonymous...as seen on Facebook
 

Johnny Cash is about as far from David Bowie as you can get. Even when he ventured into "out there" territory (covering Depeche Mode on his 2002 album, American IV, The Man Comes Around), he made his version the way only he could:

(as quoted in Mojo October 2013) "I heard that {"Personal Jesus"} as a gospel song. And if you think of it as a gospel song, it works really well. We didn't have any major disagreement over that song, I just heard that a couple of people had recorded it, the writer wanted me to try it, and I did, and I loved it. And I went for it."


Some days, music isn't just an interest or a passion, it's a necessity. To go from a sad day to one where you're glad to be alive can be due, in a large part, to music and books. Maybe it's warped to think this way, but when you sometimes find yourself unsure, even afraid, of people music and books take on lives of their own...
 
I find a calming strength in Johnny Cash's voice that I really need today.
 
from Rolling Stone:
 
Born February 26th, 1932 (died September 12th, 2003)
Key Tracks "Ring of Fire," "I Walk the Line," "Folsom Prison Blues"
Influenced Bob Dylan, Merle Haggard, Steve Earle

Johnny cash "sounds like he's at the edge of the fire," Bob Dylan wrote in Chronicles. "Johnny's voice was so big, it made the world grow small." The Man in Black's rolling, stentorian baritone is one of the defining voices in American music, from his earliest singles for Sun Records through his commercial prime in the Sixties and Seventies to his Nineties rebirth. He approached novelty songs such as "A Boy Named Sue" and "One Piece at a Time" as seriously as he did gospel music. "I'd been hearing 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' my whole life, but when I heard Johnny sing it, it dawned on me what it was about," says his collaborator Rick Rubin. "It took on a whole new resonance and meaning. He said the words in a way that you really trusted them."


Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-singers-of-all-time-19691231/johnny-cash-20101202#ixzz3GcP4zraA




4 comments:

Lady Disdain said...

Is it warped, though, to find relief and appreciation for life in books and music, or art in general? I think that's as far from warped as it can get. Sometimes art allows us to understand people in ways you really can't just based on face to face interaction, or simple conversation. I feel like art can take that essence of a person and freeze it in that object or process or whatever, for the others to see for awhile or however long. If that makes sense?

just a girl said...

That makes total sense!!:)

I like how you mention taking the "essence of a person and freezing it" in an object or process so that others may see.

I think my worries of being "warped" come to play in that I so often prefer listening to music and reading books to being around people. But I do like people themselves...the arts allow me to feel that I'm around them without actually being around them...

Lady Disdain said...

I'm the same, to be honest - being around large groups of people makes me realize how awkward I am, or be very conscious of the fact that I don't quite know how to keep the conversation flowing as well as the next person. With books you don't have to do that.
There are so many social hoops that you have to jump on a daily basis, but with books you can just watch other people do it, so it's much more relaxing :)

just a girl said...

Exactly!! I know just what you mean! :) >>> "I don't quite know how to keep the conversation flowing as well as the next person. With books you don't have to do that."