Tuesday, December 9, 2014

I spent most of last night in a funk, because of the weather and because of a chance encounter where I work. Really, though, I only have myself to blame for letting it fester inside me, even for a second. 

I so dislike the things some married people think they can say to single people. The next time I bump into someone I haven't seen in a while who says, "You're still single?" (like being single is a disease or something equally bad) I'm worried I might actually reply, "You're still married?"

And the worst thing is I happen to know this person is wildly anti-gay and would be appalled if she knew I dream of marrying a woman, not a man. I don't know if "irony" is the right word, but if I lived in a state where lesbians can't marry, I think it would be.

This made me laugh, partly because a lot of it's true:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ashleyperez/24-things-single-people-are-tired-of-hearing

And, also, dear well-intentioned married people (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt) please (most of all!) do not pity singles! The only time I really mind being single and gay is the rare time when a casual acquaintance says they know someone I'd be perfect for and we could meet over lunch or dinner if I just say the word.

One time when I politely declined, the woman (having her nephew in mind) said, "Okay, but at your age you can't afford to be picky."

That kind of peeved me...I wanted to say, "I'm not picky, I'm a lesbian," but I didn't want to be confrontational and, quite frankly, I don't think someone should have to come out to a relative stranger to explain saying no to a date.

Okay, my rant is now over. :)



No comments: