Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Les Yeux sans Visage is one of the best films I've seen in ages, yet it is also almost unbearable to watch, both for its horror and its heartbreak.

I can't say much about it without spoiling things since the fact that you don't quite know what is going on in the beginning is exactly what pulls you in and adds to the overall creepiness.

Actress Edith Scob wears a mask most of the time, but that only adds to the underlying sadness and beauty of the film and her presence (and those eyes of hers) is what gives the movie its only humanity. I have never ever seen anything like Les Yeux nor been so affected by a horror film.

I was so overwhelmed by the film's mood the other night I had to turn the lights back on in my living room and watch some "Golden Girls" episodes before I could go to sleep.

Just some FYI: Billy Idol based the title of his song "Eyes Without A Face" on this movie.



No comments: