Saturday, November 7, 2015

one of the biggest (but well-meaning, I am sure) lies ever perpetuated in tv shows and movies...

Not being able to sleep plus loneliness plus watching something unbelievably heartfelt and genuine yet still hard to swallow equals pure misery...and may lead to a cynically-infused post like this one.

Up very late and catching an episode of "How I Met Your Mother" that I never have seen before I can not help but painfully remember why I stopped watching the show. Its main character's unbelievably steadfast and goofy and adorable belief in "the one" was just too much for me sometimes.

I do not think I ever stopped watching a show before because I liked it TOO much, but that is why I stopped watching HIMYM. And the goodness and the happiness and its unshakable conviction that true love does exist just eventually became too much for me and much too painful to believe in.

Maybe it is easy to still hold to such beautiful sentiment as this in your 20s and 30s but by 45...not so much. By 45 if you are single (no matter whether you are gay or straight) and still holding on to thoughts like these, you either waited for something that never happened or your "one" was not the one who felt the same.

Lovely and magical and sincere, yet somehow still more a fairy tale than not, these words strike me as actually almost harmful to one's sanity to believe...because if you go through your whole life thinking this is an absolute then you may be in for some really, really heartbreaking and devastating disappointment when it does not happen or the one you feel this way about is not the "one" for you...



Klaus:Victoria is wunderbar, but she is not my "Lebenslanger Schicksalsschatz." She’s my "Beinahe-Leidenschaftsgegenstand"… It means the thing that is almost the thing that you want, but it’s not quite. That is Victoria to me.
Ted: How do you know she’s not "Lebenslanger Schicksalsschatz?" Maybe as the years go by she’ll get "Lebenslanger Schicksalsschatz…ier?"
Klaus: "Lebenslanger Schicksalsschatz" is not something that develops over time. It is something that happens instantaneously. It courses through you like the water of a   river after a storm, filling you and emptying you all at once. You feel it throughout your body, in your hands, in your heart, in your stomach, in your skin… Have you ever felt this way about someone?
Ted: …I think so.

Klaus: If you have to think about it, you have not felt it.
Ted: And you’re absolutely sure you’ll find that someday?

Klaus: Of course. Everyone does eventually… You just never know when or where it will happen.

No comments: