Thursday, December 20, 2018

The Washington Times is one of the few papers left (and I do not mean this is as a compliment) that regularly features anti-gay op ed pieces. Their most recent one argues that (in terms of discrimination) no class of people should be protected based on their "desires," meaning for them (The Washington Times) sexual ones. For publications and people who are homophobic, more times than not they frame their arguments against gay rights strictly in terms of the sexual aspect, which is why I believe they so often use the word "homosexual" over the more friendly and accepted "gay."

I get so very tired and saddened by this argument...by the homophobic belief and argument that gay people are strictly ruled by some sort of salacious desire and that they have (or want to have) sex 24/7. This is not the case and I think it is the only argument they have and a very, very flimsy one at that. I can only speak for myself, but I have a feeling I am not the only gay person who could care less about desire and who is much more focused on living a good, clean life and who has a heart that wants love as much as any straight person does.


Just as homophobic people apparently cannot change who they are (though belief is not inborn the way being gay is) neither can gay people. The only "ex-gay therapy" I know of that works is one I do not even want to think about...because as much as I find some days a very, very hard (near impossible) struggle and have had tempting thoughts about non-existence, I still want to live, not die.

No comments: