Saturday, April 3, 2021

"When love is defined in this way, acts that discipline individuals into conformity with the created order are acts of love. They are human expressions of God’s relationship with God’s people over the millennia. There is no contradiction in saying that the Catholic Church loves LGBTQ persons and that it refuses to bless their marriages. The refusal to bless a particular homosexual behavior is an act of love intended to bring into, or keep LGBTQ persons within, the order of creation as taught by the church."


https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2021/03/28/progressive-bashing-of-evangelicals-and-catholics-is-getting-old/

 

I don't know which bothers me more: the explicit hatred columnists like Everett Piper have for the lgbtq+ people or the above more understated contempt disguised as "love and understanding" in the most patronizing of ways. 


Equally upsetting to me are articles that use "sex life" instead of "love story" when reviewing a lbgtq film...as happened recently with a Daily Telegraph piece. I prefer outright hatred and homophobia to the so-called, patronizing love and understanding above. 


Being a lgbtq+ person is not about exhibiting immoral behaviors or sin; it is about having a heart that wants to love just as much as anyone else. 


I'm 51, a celibate virgin who will always be one and yet I have loved deeply in a way that transcends any immorality or "sick" behavior far right Christians never seem to stop condemning. Their obsession with this condemnation is rather off and odd, if you ask me. 


If you think I sound angry you'll probably right. But my sadness is even stronger. You can have and should have any opinion or belief you want to, but you don't get to deny me how I feel or say "no, you're not." 


You also can't say you love lgbtq people and that they deserve love and then turn around and tell them they just can't love the way straight people in relationships get to love each other.


It happens to be that I am what you would call asexual lesbian...I am emotionally and romantically drawn to women (not all women, of course, but when I have had feelings for someone, it has always been a woman).


No comments: