Saturday, May 2, 2009

bad zombie!


Maybe it's a sign of the times that my favorite movie is currently 2004's "Dawn of the Dead." Sometimes when I'm really sad or in a rotten mood I need something like "DOD"...so oddly comforting as to be the only thing I can really watch when I'm desperately down. Thank God I don't get down a lot!

There's so much to like about "Dawn of the Dead," though non-horror fans might not agree. There are some freakishly funny moments in the beginning...like right after the virus breaks out and the main character's zombie boyfriend is chasing her car down the street, only to be distracted by someone standing on the side of the road...a much easier, temporarily tastier target.

Other touches made this a keeper...like the fact that Sarah Polley's character is so so tired and ready to get finish her shift that she doesn't even notice the especially weird and bloody circumstances under which people are being brought into her hospital. Maybe she's just storing up energy 'cause as it turns out this is one of the hardest working and most appealing nurses in the history of film (take that, Nurse Ratchet!)

Or maybe it's the fact that Jake Weber appears as the very appealing and kind-hearted "Michael"...or that Ving Rhames is so kick ass or Ty Burrell so amazingly crass...take your pick...there's tons to like here and not just the zombies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember this movie. I actually saw it in the theaters. I recall thinking that wow this movie was really gory (which was good) most horror movies at the time weren't. I loved Ving's character.