Saturday, May 2, 2009

beauty is the beast


I have listened to Kate Havnevik so many times you'd think I'd grow tired of her, but I don't. Her music is so healing. Her voice is so different from other singers...it's a little breathy--which normally irritates me--but it's not "aren't I sexy?" breathy, it's more of an honest, "life has done this to me" kind of sound. I think that's why I put her cd "Melankton" (try saying that twice) on whenever I can't sleep. She sounds like she's seen a lot of sad things and that she'd sit down with you over a glass of wine (maybe beer, but she doesn't have a beer kind of voice) and translate your pain into something so gorgeous your heart would skip several beats.

One of the tracks, "Not Fair," could be straight out of a James Bond film, IF the women in James Bond's life wore their hearts on their sleeves and bared more than just skin. "Suckerlove" seeps into your bones right away with its exotic intro and goes straight to the punch with its message of love and loss.

"I Don't Know You" and "Timeless" are so delicately open that if I listen to them when I'm even the slightest bit sad, I completely lose it and have to find some tissues.

"Kaleidoscope" and "Nowhere Warm"...well, they are so lovely I can't find the right words.

The funny thing is the first time I put it on my stereo I didn't like it that much because I wanted every song to be like her "Grace" (from "Grey's Anatomy") Now, I can't remember the last time I fell so hard for an album.

No comments: