Saturday, January 23, 2010

Goodbye Natalie, Goodbye Splendour

I don't know what to make of this book. When it showed up on our "new" non-fiction shelf the other day at work I didn't realize at first it was specifically related to Natalie Wood's death. I was thrilled at the thought of a new and possibly better (than previous ones) biography on the "Splendor in the Grass" actress.

Once I flipped the book open, though, and saw it was really nothing more than a speculative take on what may or may not have happened on that horrible night back in November of 1981, I lost interest. I want to know more about what her life was like on the set of her films, what her interests were, how she interacted with people. Her death was so very sad and truly shocking, but people always seem to want to focus on the scandalous possibilities whenever it's mentioned, not really open to the theory that it COULD have been an accident.

I meant to take it back with me to work to today and return it, but a few minutes ago I saw that I had left it on my kitchen table.

The PR for the book mentions that it's a non-sensationalistic look at her very tragic death ("never salacious or exploitive," the back blurb states with what I believe is true sincerity but somehow doesn't ring true once you start reading.)

I think there's a very good reason that this book came as a surprise (and with little to no fanfare) to Natalie Wood fans and it has nothing to do with the fact that the publisher is a small press one I've never heard of before. (Small presses can often be wonderful!)

What's more likely is that it has no new information to add after almost thirty years. What's even more of a turn-off is the awkward recreation of dialogue from that fateful night that no one (not even someone with a photographic memory) could possibly recall unless they had a tape recorder with them that night.

The author Marti Rulli states that Natalie Wood deserves justice and that she wrote this book to help get her some...I don't doubt that the author DOES have good intentions, even if it's slightly creepy just HOW much she wants that justice and how connected she feels to someone she never even met.

Whether it's JFK, Elvis, Marilyn or (in this case) Natalie Wood there are always going to be endless theories on events we will never know the cause of, particularly when the person in the center of it all is not around to tell us.

Maybe it's just me...but I think your time would be better spent watching one of Natalie's many movies...whether it's the delightful guilty pleasure "Sex and the Single Girl" or the gut-wrenching and amazing "Splendor in the Grass."

...just my two cents...

Natalie Wood Collection (Splendor in the Grass / Sex and the Single Girl / Inside Daisy Clover / Gypsy / Bombers B-52 / Cash McCall)

No comments: