Thursday, February 11, 2010

Out Of Africa: Music From The Motion Picture Soundtrack Out of Africa (Score)

Today I have been full of unexplained anxiety...maybe it was all the coffee I drank early this morning or the fact that I have quickly broken off my once beloved relationship with snow and feel I'm going to freak if I see one more flake of white. One thing I know for sure...the "Out of Africa" soundtrack always calms my soul as best it can:)...

Barry's score captures the beauty of Africa and the freedom of flying and I always feel so lifted after I listen to it...

Other terrific film scores include:
(also composed by John Barry)

Somewhere In Time: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack


(amazing!!!)





The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford


If you were going to musically score the biggest heartbreak of your life, this might be how it would sound. The sadness and pain would come not with an angry bang or a soft whimper, but rest instead in an understated dark beauty, evoking images of cold prairie nights or horse and rider moving through unblemished snow, no one else in sight.

One reviewer on allmusic.com referred to the album The Assassination of Jesse James as a "sophisticated undertaking, full of narrative." When I watched the movie for the first time, it wasn’t the acting that captivated me, but the sounds of such pieces as "Rather Lovely Thing." It sits low in your chest and refuses to leave, until you’re ready to release it. Part of the amazing atmosphere comes from Nick Cave’s willingness to experiment with different instruments such as the Hohner guitaret, which is closely associated with the harmonica and accordion.

A soundtrack as good as this one can only help the film it accompanies, taking something that already has simple majesty and making it even more lovely and breathtaking. I normally only like to listen to scores while I’m reading or resting quietly at home, but I’ve had this in my car lately because it helps me deal with the overwhelming madness of rush hour. It’s calming, but never lures you into a false sense of security…which is a must for anyone braving nasty traffic that even outlaws like Jesse James never could have handled.

No comments: