Thursday, March 25, 2010

You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried: The Brat Pack, John Hughes, and Their Impact on a Generation



This new book is both a look at John Hughes' films (truly the first of their kind when dealing with and taking teenagers seriously) and the absolute power of a high school life that sometimes lingers with us long after we pass through the doors for the last time.

"Pretty in Pink" is one of my favorite movies and as someone who came of age (though sometimes I doubt I really did) during the 80s I can't help but recall all of Hughes' films (especially "Ferris Bueller's Day Off")  with much affection.  With the exception of earlier films such as "Rebel Without A Cause" and "Splendor in the Grass" very few films up until the 80s came anyway near to capturing the angst and wonder of teenage emotions and daily life.

I've only just started reading this, but I thought I'd post something about it while I'm in the midst of it and still excited...I hope to return to add more thoughts on it:)

No comments: