Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Last Time I Saw You: A NovelLittle Miss Sunshine
In the movie Little Miss Sunshine Uncle Frank (played very well by Steve Carell) calls high school "your prime suffering years. You don't get better suffering than that." I'm not sure I'd go that far (my bet is with middle school if you want to kick the whole suffering thing up a notch.)

There were moments in high school I actually enjoyed...times with friends, certain parts of class (both humorous and academic) that made up for the more painful stuff (trig, geometry, algebra...the whole math thing).  We'll skip the unrequited crushes, the out-of-sync-with-the-rest-of-the-world cloud that often followed those of us who were mostly loners and that horrible melodramatic overload of hormones and mixed emotions.

I mention high school because of what I'm currently reading. Elizabeth Berg's newest book (aptly titled The Last Time I Saw You) captures some of what makes high school reunions both scary and utterly fascinating. I just started it, but hope to return soon with thoughts on it...

...A few hours later and I've had time to read more. I love this passage: By the time she was in high school, she spent all her money on record albums and on paperback books--she couldn't get enough of either. Why moon about not being invited to a party when you could listen to Bob Dylan? What date could compare with Nine Stories?  The major reason I usually end up liking a book is because there is a least one character so relatable to you it's almost eerie...(except, when I was in high school I didn't listen to Dylan.)

No comments: