Friday, October 22, 2010

Saw VI (Widescreen Unrated Edition)
Against my better judgment I watched Saw VI today and while I certainly see the sense in the writers using the health insurance industry as fair game for the wrath of Jigsaw I still find the franchise's internal sense of moral philosophy very troubling and (with the sixth installment) very ironic...if Jigsaw (played by Tobin Bell) wants to judge the employer (and his employees) of a major health insurance company so savagely for making harsh decisions regarding people's health and whether their cases are worthy or not, isn't he sort of a hyprocrite?

Jigsaw's kind of the same way in dispensing his lethal medicine...setting up elaborate and unbelievably disgusting and gory ways for people (he thinks deserve to) die. He has, in previous installments and in this one, also passed judgment calls on people who abuse their bodies and their health (i.e. people who do drugs or smoke). While I think the original Saw (nasty and gratuituous death scenes aside!) had potential to be food for thought and a great conversation starter, I find the rest to just be one exercise after another in "how far can we go?"

No comments: