Sunday, January 16, 2011

Going Back
Phil Collins' newest album took me surprise when I listened to it earlier this evening. Not only is it one of his best albums in years, Going Back is one of the best albums of covers I've heard in quite some time. His  decision to remain completely faithful to the original arrangements (not changing anything) pays off well.

Sure, there are a couple of misses. "(Love is Like a) Heat Wave" should only ever be sung by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas (only!!!) and "Standing in the Shadows of Love" is just a tad weak vocally.

But the rest is Motown magic!! On "Jimmy Mack" Collins tweaks the cover by singing a plee to Jimmy to come back soon before he (Collins) takes Jimmy's girlfriend away; otherwise it's every bit as catchy and sweet as the original. Other stand-outs include the lovely "In My Lonely Room," "Do I Love You" and the powerful "Papa Was A Rolling Stone."

I've never been a big Phil Collins fan, but Going Back is inspiring me to give it repeat listens!! Great album for feeling good and feeding your nostalgic side!

No comments: