Wednesday, August 17, 2011



The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine AnymoreThe Walking Dead: Season OneInvincible


Long before it was used as a song for The Walking Dead last year, "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine No More" by The Scott Walker Brothers was a big favorite of mine. When I saw the commercial for the then new show on AMC chills ran up my spine, the way they always do when I hear a beloved song I haven't heard in ages. And the chills also ran because I couldn't think of a song more perfect for providing a sneak peek at what would definitely live up to its promising preview.

Before I became a zombie fanatic I never really thought about how the genre could be a set-up (plot-wise) for something far more beautiful: survival.  Whether it's the amazingly good Walking Dead (I especially like the character the very much underrated Laurie Holden plays with such compassion and sadness) or the fabulous short story collection The New Dead, I often find some of the best writing is in the zombie 'cannon.'

Last night I was listening to "Invincible" by Pat Benatar and I realized how appropriate it would be for a scene from a zombie apocalypse survival movie (originally the song was used in the early 80s film The Legend of Billie Jean.) And that it turn made me think of an idea for a short story and I've begun writing my very first piece of zombie fiction, which I'm not sure will be any good, but is screaming to be released from my head and onto paper...guess I'm going to give a try!:)

No comments: