Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Annie on My MindSister Mischief

What's a girl to do if she likes to occasionally read GLBT literature, especially fiction dealing with lesbian issues? Apparently, not much, if what is currently not out is anything to go by...lesbian fiction has always been kind of crappy, especially the kind geared for adults, but at least it was being published and even sometimes actually placed in bookstores and libraries (though the latter not so much.)

When I say "crappy" I'm not just talking about plot and dialogue and character development (or rather, the lack of it) I'm also referring to extremely bad editing and grammar mistakes. I used to wonder (when I'd read anything if it had a lesbian in it) if there was some genetic disposition in lesbians that was responsible for bad writing skills.

Older presses like Naiad were notoriously known for either being unbearably sappy or disgustingly explicit.  There was very little mention of actually dealing with what it's like being gay (not acting on the feelings necessarily, but the feelings themselves) in a society that still has problems with homosexuality, with the romantic yearning and emotional aspects that go with it.

In a short story collection by Natalie Nessus I regretfully just finished reading (sadly, the regret was not because I hated it to end) every character in each story referred to her girlfriend as "lover." I have never been a fan of that word (for straights or gays) unless it's directly connected to book, music or art....as in "I'm a book lover, I'm a music lover. I'm an art lover."

Referring to your significant other as "lover" sounds kind of demeaning and in the gay and lesbian community sounds as it's all about the sex...a stereotype people in committed, loving relationships are constantly having to fight in a world that often doesn't take their love seriously.

Thankfully I have discovered that young adult books are doing a much better job. Teen literature actually seems to grasp the concept that not everyone accepts being gay right away and that liking someone else of the same gender is about far more than physical and sexual attraction. YA understands the pain, the struggle, the need for someone else (even if it's only one person) to comprehend what a gay or lesbian youth is going through.

Some of the sweetest, most heart-breaking novels with lesbian themes (to name a few) are: Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden, Crush by Jane Futcher and Ash by Malinda Lo. I just started a fun and spunky book called Sister Mischief by Laura Goode that isn't exclusive to GLBT themes, but deals with the issue in a sensitive subplot.

Maybe there are people who might have problems with young adult novels addressing such issues, but all I can say is this: if there had been books like this when I was a teen, I would have felt a lot less lonely and scared. With suicide rates double that of straight teens, gays and lesbians need all the help they can get...and I'm pretty sure it's no exaggeration to write that if ever there is a case when a book can save a life, this may be it...

Just some thoughts on a quiet night...I'm going to get back to the book I'm currently reading (Raising Stony Mayhall) which is just terrific (there are zombies!!!!) and has nary a lesbian in sight :)


2 comments:

Lady Disdain said...

Ooh, I loved Ash by Malinda Lo. It was an interesting take on the Cinderella story, plus her writing style was like quick-sand, just kept sucking me in. It had the tone of an honest-to-goodness 'fairytale', if you know what I mean? Just the way she wrote, the order of her words felt like I was listening to a 'story' in the most fundamental sense - which I think a lot of authors seem to not do anymore, sadly.

just a girl said...

I know exactly what you mean!:)