Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Move OnGeorge Michael's understated album Older received little critical or commercial attention when it came out in 1996, but I remember liking the album a lot...or at least most of it. My favorites included the surprisingly touching and beautiful "Jesus To A Child" and the more upbeat "Fastlove" and "Star People."

But the song that spoke to me most was "Move On"...maybe because I was in the midst of wanting to be out of love with someone I was hopelessly in love with. The song was (is) pretty much exactly what you'd expect it to be about it, except for the fact it's sung like something would be in a quiet supper club late late at night when the singer is lonely, world-weary yet still somehow rising above it all with something approaching optimism.

The best part, the part that is so vulnerable and lovely, is when George Michael sings softly at the end, "I'm going to be lucky in love one day...going to be lucky in love one day" over and over as "Move On" fades out.

You're never really sure if he's certain of this little fact or he's desperately hoping he will...

No comments: