Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Let Me In
I watched "Let Me In," the American remake of the Swedish "Let The Right One In" a few nights ago and I still feel kind of torn up about it. It's the most oddly touching and sadly atmospheric film I've seen in ages and it's as much about loneliness and feeling out of place in the world as it is about vampires.

Never mind that it's amazing just for the fact that it's a remake that is possibly better than the original...Let Me In also is intriguing and terrific because it captures the feel of the early 80s better than any recent film I remember and it makes you care about its central character Owen (a young boy tormented by his classmates and pretty much ignored by his over-worked and beleaguered mom) so much your heart physically hurts.

Of course how you react to the film may depend on where you're coming from...I was Owen's age in 1983 (the year Let Me In takes place) and I didn't fit in at all in middle school. And while another child my age who was also a vampire didn't move in next door to me like one does in the film, I certainly can empathize with how quickly and deeply you can form an attachment to someone who is as lost and as lonely as you are...

I can't recommend Let Me In enough. But it is not for the faint of heart at all, so consider yourself warned!!:)

No comments: