Saturday, January 21, 2012

Do This, Not That...

Kate Moss once said, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." I remember being outraged at the time, thinking (probably irrationally, now that I look back) it would be some kind of impetus for thousands of girls across the country to start dieting, even if they didn't need to.

Now, as my fortysomething metabolism slows down and I find eating half of what I used to eat barely helps with maintaining my within-range-of-normal weight, I wonder if she might not be right. Sure, that picture of a burger and fries from BGR makes my mouth salivate and my hungry wolf instincts kick in, but there's a higher power I recently discovered.

Invisalign! Some of my friends and I have joked (half seriously) that the popular braces have done more for cutting back on impulsive snacking than anything else we've tried, making the expensive product (often at over $5,000) a better weight loss product than whatever else we've tried.

I kid you not! By the time you factor in the limited time you're allowed to have them out (2 hours or less for the whole day!) and the trouble involved brushing your teeth thoroughly and flossing and water picking, then putting Invisalign back in, you hardly want to bother with food.

And since you're not supposed to eat anything when the braces are in...well, in the past, when someone offered me something to eat and I said, "No, thanks," they'd keep it up. But now, all I have to say is "I have my braces in" and they don't repeat the offer.

This isn't scientific theory (obviously) and as far as I know no one has ever drastically lost weight on a "Invisalign diet," but it certainly seems to help in not gaining weight, which is more my goal these days anyway....













No comments: