Friday, April 25, 2014


My niece introduced me to this wonderful, wonderful album called Vessel by twenty/one/pilots. The whole effect is kind of what you might get if you mixed Jason Mraz with Weezer and threw in a much gentler and more soulful Eminem. The cover art perfectly captures the surprisingly delightful "what to make of it" elements.

"Migraine" and "Screen" are my absolute favorites, with the latter having an awesome, awesome beat and joyous sounds, even while the lyrics are sad in perfect counterpoint:


I'm standing in front of you
I'm standing in front of you
I'm trying to be so cool
Everything together trying to be so cool

^^^
At this point in the song, everything is swirling together and the earnestness and vulnerability of the singer being in front of someone he likes is almost more than the listener can bear. Your heart rises and falls at the same time.

Later, lead singer Tyler Joseph raps in a touching but tough confessional:

My flow's not great, okay, I conversate with people
Who know if I flow on a song I'll get no radio play
While you're doing fine, there's some people and I
Who have a really tough time getting through this life
So excuse us while we sing to the sky.

I know this is going to be an album I'll wear out listening to over and over again. :)

No comments: