Monday, May 19, 2014

Back in the late 70s, every Friday night my sister, mom and I would put records on the turntable and dance in our living room. (Please don’t laugh, okay?) Chic’s C’est Le Chic was one of the LPs we constantly rotated, even more than the Bee Gees or Thelma Houston (other disco staples of the time). 

Six of the songs from that album appear here on Chic: The Definitive Groove Collection and of those, the most well-known are: "Le Freak," "Good Times," and "I Want Your Love," still sounding fresh all these years later. (Boy, does "Le Freak" sound good and "Good Times" seems like more than just a song you heard at Skateland at your tenth birthday party.)

Of particular interest is the second disc which contains songs I’m surprised didn’t become more famous when they first arrived on the scene. Among the strongest tracks are: "Real People" (about figuring out who your true friends are); " Will You Cry (When You Hear This Song)" (very pretty and quietly emotional); "You Can’t Do It Alone" (oh so smooth and relaxing); "Your Love is Cancelled" (once you stop laughing over the title, you’ll love it!); "Soup for One" (my favorite and coincidentally, I’m sure, the most disco-sounding one); "Hangin’" (very catchy in that way only your foot knows!) and the quite addictive "Your Love."

As a rule, I’m not big on nostalgia…but I have to say that as I played The Definitive Collection I welcomed the happy childhood memories that drifted back as I listened to the music and danced in my living room.








No comments: