Friday, May 23, 2014

Last night I couldn't sleep and happened to be reading this past Sunday's New York Times which featured a rather interesting article on the newest in music streaming sites and Apple's foray into it all: read here. I've always been a big fan and user of the 8Tracks and Pandora apps, but after seeing Songza mentioned I had to check it out. Boy, is it amazing!

Similar to 8Tracks, Songza lets you find playlists based on different categories, such as moods, activities and genres. Let's say, you choose "Sleepytime Indie." You pick that and suddenly you're hearing really relaxing, but still insightful music from some of the best (relatively) unheard of musicians and singers around. Richard Hawley's quietly heartbreaking "Baby You're My Light" came on and his warm, deep enveloped my ears like a nice blanket.

I couldn't help but be amused that Norah Jones was filed under just "Sleepy." I have nothing against her, but there's a reason her nickname is "Snorah Jones."

No comments: