Thursday, June 19, 2014

This is for all the lonely people...

I've been listening to lots of music and most of it has been great for elevating my mood, but then my iTunes shuffle hit "Lonely People" by America, which is actually supposed to be uplifting, but sounds so damn sad you can fall into a funk if you're not careful.

"Lonely People"
This is for all the lonely people
Thinking that life has passed them by
Don't give up until you drink from the silver cup
And ride that highway in the sky

This is for all the single people
Thinking that love has left them dry
Don't give up until you drink from the silver cup
You never know until you try

Well, I'm on my way
Yes, I'm back to stay
Well, I'm on my way back home (Hit it)

This is for all the lonely people
Thinking that life has passed them by
Don't give up until you drink from the silver cup
And never take you down or never give you up
You never know until you try


My antidote for the bluesy blahs this inspired is to put on "A Horse With No Name;" it's so deceptively vague and lazy in description ("there were plants and birds and rocks and things," "the heat was hot" and "the ground was dry") it's almost funny, plus I just like the song a lot so I'm already feeling better with all those "la la la la la"s and "don't harsh my mellow" vibes.

I love to see people try and figure out what it's about:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1310

And, of course, "Sister Golden Hair" is so pretty and nice to sing along to, that's another non-bummer.


Meanwhile, I'm still reading Married Love by Dr. Marie Stopes and her theory on how two people come together goes something like this:

To use a homely simile – one might compare two human beings to two wires through which pass electric currents. Isolated from each other the electric forces within them pass uninterrupted along their length, but if these wires come into the right juxtaposition, the force is transmuted, and a spark, a glow of burning light arises between them. Such is love.

I don't know that I necessarily believe it's true, but it kind of sounds scientifically romantic.






No comments: