Saturday, August 23, 2014

In a move that wouldn't surprise anyone who knows even the littlest about Bryan Fischer (head of the American Family Association) he is on yet another rant about gay people. This time he has been kind enough to speak for everyone by saying "no wants to visualize homosexuality because it is disgusting."

To me, that statement seems ignorant more than mean. First of all, if he has enough spare time on his hands to imagine what people of the world are or are not visualizing, he needs to reconsider his priorities. Second, he would be better off trying to "visualize" what it is like to be gay, instead of picturing actual gay acts.

I know I've gone on about this before, but of all the homophobic comments I've read or heard throughout most of my adult life, the one that gets to me most is "I don't care what two people do in the privacy of their bedroom, as long as they don't talk about it."

As far as I know, no one (gay or straight) talks about their sex lives, unless it's a bunch of close friends out on a Friday night, (generally) venting about how much better things could be with their significant others. More importantly, whether you are straight or gay, relationships and sexuality are about so much more than the bedroom.

One of the few convenient things about being single, celibate and and harboring feelings for someone you're definitely not meant to be with (especially if that person is so neat and special, no one else really interests you that much) is that you learn to pretty much be happy alone. 

I know if I never ever have any kind of intimacy of that level that I will be absolutely fine...I also know I'm still gay whether I ever "act" on that part of me or not. For Bryan Fischer to reduce gay people to "disgusting" sex acts shows an ignorance that is far far more insulting (to me, at least) than anything else to ever come out of a such a staunch homophobe's mouth.

Bryan Fischer also acts as though no one has ever said this before. I imagine there are millions of people who find acting on homosexuality "disgusting." For them the solution is simple: just don't visualize it. No one's asking them to...on the other hand, asking someone to "stop" being gay (whether in their hearts or with their bodies) is pretty much impossible. The repercussions of trying to do so (i.e. suicide) are extremely heartbreaking and harsh.

I wish Mr. Fischer (nor anyone else who is anti-gay) no ill will. I just sincerely wish from the bottom of my soul homophobic people tried to truly understand those they oppose. That is all. 

Gay people are not here to destroy the world. We are here to love...just like anyone else.


1 comment:

Lady Disdain said...

Ugh, I don't know who this Bryan Fischer guy is, but I think you're right in saying that his warped views reflect a lot of people's.

Unfortunately ignorance is as bad as hatred - and someone I know said it's actually worse, because it comes from laziness - that's assuming that people who actively decide to hate are those who've done their research or whatever.

I don't know if I agree, but I think it's certainly true that ignorance and laziness are given way too many opportunities to affect our perception - I feel as if it should really be emphasized and stressed as hard as possible early on in our lives/education that before we ever make conclusions about subjects, we really should try to know all there is possible to know. And I know I might be being a bit simplistic, but it's certainly better that than just breeding more ignorance.

I think because homosexuality is a subject that was meant to be hushed up, people immediately join it to that other taboo subject, sex. And, frankly, if they're immediately going to link love to sex, then that says a lot more about their view on love/marriage/partnership than it does about whatever they're judging.

I also read a post on your blog a couple of weeks ago, but then didn't get to comment on it. It was about homosexuality and religion being viewed as incompatible.

I'm religious - I was baptised as a Catholic, if I have to specify which one, but I just think of myself as someone who believes in Christ, and reads and follows the Bible (or what's in the New Testament, anyway).

I don't know if you still have those feelings of uncertainty and self-resentment, but I really hope that they're decreasing. I know it's not easy, and that they're not going to cos I say "feel better", because years of social thinking is hard to discard. I don't know what I'm trying to say exactly, but I definitely don't think that religion and homosexuality are incompatible, or that God would be as cruel and judgmental as people. I hope that this journey does give you a chance to be at peace with yourself, and that your religion and orientation don't always make you feel conflicted.