Friday, August 22, 2014

There are some bands you might not necessarily be madly passionate about, but still have feelings for in your memory. I've never been a huge Chicago fan (except for "Saturday In The Park" and the stunningly beautiful "Colour My World," which would make even Cruella Deville cry) yet their music seemed to follow me all through my youth.

In middle school, our music teacher had us play Chicago songs on the recorder. He constantly used current pop music to engage our attention, though Chicago was never particularly the rage among my classmates. Chicago most likely works better with the recorder than the far more energized Motley Crue or Prince would have.

In high school, my sister became such a passionate Chicago listener, theirs was the only music she played in her room besides Madonna. I always found the 80s albums to be a bit sappy, maybe even emotional overkill, but the sincerity within them struck me as endearing.

Of the different lead singers who have moved through the band, Peter Cetera (vocals and bass from 1967-1985) has a voice that sounds very kind and genuine and even when I didn't like the songs, I liked his attitude. It's not his fault, after all, I associate that particular period of Chicago with being a wallflower at a high school dance.

The liner notes from their 2007 release The Best Of Chicago aren't especially introspective (it would be kind of neat to see reflections on their early singles), but there is this mention of Diane Warren, who seems to have written every Top 40 power ballad from the 80s and early 90s.

She has written for so many well-known singers, but I think my favorite song of hers is "Solitaire," which Laura Branigan released in 1983.
 
for more on Diane Warren:
 

No comments: