Friday, October 3, 2014

I was watching NBC's "The Mysteries of Laura" (I know the critics don't like it much, but I just adore it !) tonight when one particular scene stuck out for its use of a Jewel song that once struck chords of fear in me whenever I'd hear it.

For many of us a song from our past can either make or break us. This time, though, I was glad for the unexpectedness of hearing something that used to remind me of a sad time in my life.

I didn't flinch or even think of the song in terms of memory, it became a song again. And, I remembered, when the song first came out I thought I'd never get past that...past being hurt so badly by someone it forever changed the way I interacted with (or trusted) anyone who showed even the slightest interest in me.

This person and I had been good friends, or so it seemed, but I've always been grateful we never became more for reasons too complicated to mention. In the beginning I would have loved if things had worked out, it was kind of what I'd wished for, but finding out her true nature reminded me there's a reason people say be careful what you wish for.

Realizing we can survive our personal histories makes me think of "this too shall pass," which is one of my favorite sayings, ever, and something I like to believe is very much true.

Another adage that calms me (most of the time, though occasionally it can also be patronizing) is "things happen--or don't--for a reason."

There are people we're going to meet along the way that we would love to get to know better, but just aren't meant to. As painful as unrequited love can be, I'd rather have a crush on someone sincere who is also nice and kind, but obviously could and would never feel the same, than have feelings for someone who reached out with an interest that turned out to just be hiding lies and ulterior motives.

Sometimes, if we're lucky, we realize before it's too late that knowing someone wonderful and unique is a part of our lives, however casual or non-mutual that part is, is more than enough.






No comments: