Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Do cover artists ever actually the read the descriptions of the characters they're drawing? Ridiculously perfect misrepresentation...
I read for companionship as much as I do for enlightenment and entertainment, but the most recent book I read left a bad feeling inside that would welcome loneliness any day.

Right from the start, the premise of Three's A Crowd struck me as beyond unsettling. Tossing aside (for the moment) how profoundly disturbing I find the idea of a "threesome," I find the main character's eagerness to please her boyfriend (despite the misgivings she tries to hide from both him and herself) even more troubling.

No one who truly loves you should ever pressure you (in this case by hinting what a "bore" you are) to do something you don't want to do. "You would if you loved me...," especially in this case, is emotional blackmail; that should be black and white, without question.

Just as with another Q. Kelly novel I read (A Woman Unleashed, where the female lead kills and goes on to live happily ever with a woman who is quite comfortable with the fact she's a murderer) I felt my skin actually crawl. No matter that there were indeed some actual passages that reached out to me:

"There’s a cheesy romantic in everyone, huh? I always wondered what it’d be like to find that one person—a soul mate. I don’t believe in them, but I’d like to look in that person’s eyes and know this is the one. She’s the one. She can make my pain go away. Don’t need rings for that, but this is pretty. It really is.”

It actually hurt a little (because, no matter what else, Q. Kelly is a gifted writer) that both the boyfriend and the other woman Carol's boyfriend wants to bring into the picture lie right and left. Because, ultimately, the book (thank goodness) is not really about a threesome, Carol falls in love with Ennis, the "number three" (as her boyfriend jokes like the jerk he is) who ends up breaking her heart.

Despite some great writing and two plot twists I didn't see coming, I still found the novel to be a huge mess and the ending quite ridiculous. It's both a prequel and a "companion" story to the first book in the series, Strange Bedfellows, an equally far-fetched story, but one with more backbone and better morals.

Now, thanks to American Pulp, I'm starting this (available on Kindle and the basis for the classic noir film of the same name):

No comments: