Friday, November 28, 2014

Friday music, this and that...




This appears in December's Elle magazine. 400 dollars, "built to endure all manners of hell," the headphones are available at masterdynamic.com. They're definitely outside my price range (and lined in lambskin so that's not good), but I'd rather spend that kind of money on music than shoes any day.

Sadly, Elle isn't trying to appeal to the shoe-buying crowd here. The Master & Dynamic MH40 headphones appear in an article about top ten things to get for your guy for the holidays, right next to a sweet MP3 player that costs a cool 900 bucks.

I'd think it was kind of sexist, but I'm not sure. Whenever I'm in the music magazine section of a bookstore or in record stores like Sound Garden or Record and Tape Traders or at Radio Shack (or other places that sell stereo-related stuff) it seems like I only ever see men. And when I read Mojo and Uncut and Classic Rock, the letters to the editor section never features women readers.

Oh, well. Shoes (and diamonds) can't be every girl's best friend and that's just fine with me.

One article I found explores whether men really are more serious about music when it comes to fandom:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11167333/Are-men-more-passionate-about-music-than-women-are.html


Meanwhile, this is on SoundCloud, not a mix, just the original version. It's still lots of fun to listen to:

Another reason I like SoundCloud so much is that it can give you over a dozen different (wildly different) mixes for the same song. David Bowie's "Let's Dance," for instance, is the perfect track to mess around with, as it has been here:

https://soundcloud.com/tool-o-saurus/david-bowie-lets-dance-studio



Dimitri from Paris's take changes the tempo so fast it's like, "Dude, where's the fire?" And another dj mashes Santana, Tito Puente and "Let's Dance" all magically together...it shouldn't work, but it does.

My favorite discovery so far, though, is Amos Lee's cover of "Like A Virgin," as a ballad. I always imagined what the song would sound like slowed down and pretty and now I know...it's so very gorgeous, with a wonderful spirit. Sorry, Madonna:

https://soundcloud.com/mrmetacrisis/amos-lee-like-a-virgin-madonna-cover-from-greys-anatomy


 

No comments: