Thursday, November 20, 2014


My favorite magazine is Mojo, which has a column called "All Back To My Place" where musicians talk about their favorite music. I love, love, love Frankie Valli (even more now that he considers Guilty one of his favorite albums.)
 
Guilty's cover always made me laugh, though I love the record itself. In the early 80s my mom played it on the stereo a lot, mostly because she adored Barry Gibb and liked Barbra Streisand's voice.
 
I've always felt a bit afraid to admit it's one of of my favorite albums...because, well, look at that cover! But time has been kind to it (the music, if not the cover) and I think it holds up rather nicely.
 
 
Review by
The biggest selling album of Barbra Streisand's career is also one of her least characteristic. The album was written and produced by Barry Gibb in association with his brothers and the producers of the Bee Gees, and in essence it sounds like a post-Saturday Night Fever Bee Gees album with vocals by Streisand. Gibb adapted his usual style somewhat, especially in slowing the tempos and leaving more room for the vocal, but his melodic style and the backup vocals, even when they are not sung by the Bee Gees, are typical of them. Still, the record was more hybrid than compromise, and the chart-topping single "Woman in Love" has a sinuous feel that is both right for Streisand and new for her. Other hits were the title song and "What Kind of Fool," both duets with Gibb. (The song "Guilty" won a Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal by Duo or Group.)
 
 
 


Meanwhile, I can't get the Vince Clarke remix of "Dove" by Future Islands out of my head...it's great for chilling or listening to while exercising. :)

No comments: