Sunday, November 30, 2014





I read this earlier this week in The Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/book-review-two-new-translations-of-anna-karenina-by-marian-schwartz-and-rosamund-bartlett-1416614422

It appealed to me mostly because I think I own almost every translation of Anna Karenina (I'm a fanatic with that book) but also because the article is well-written and very interesting.



Right now I'm reading this very (very) dark and disturbing novel that I should have deleted upon finishing the first chapter, but didn't. It is so oddly compelling, so much so it's like I'm reading it against my will.

The main character herself goes way beyond the anti-hero archetype and does horrible things, but when she finds herself in the middle of another girl's disappearance, which may be related to sex trafficking, it seems like she might just be the right person to help.

She's also a vampire who spends way too much on shoes and has done pretty much everything under the sun (except when the Sun is actually out) to ever be squeamish about life.

It's so complicated and weird I'm not sure I can even explain. When I first downloaded the novel for free, I thought it was about a rock group called Suzie and the Monsters; once I realized it wasn't, it too late. I was hooked. I'm never ever hitting one-click on Amazon again when I'm under the influence of Nyquil.




Two more great mixes I found on Soundcloud include another take on "Let's Dance" (kind of out there and definitely edgy, but hypnotizing in the best way possible.) Also good is this one:

https://soundcloud.com/rubenandra/80s-child-back-to-the-80s-mix

 

No comments: