Saturday, January 24, 2015


hugs, life without daily human touch, skin hunger, dreams...the intangible is haunting my mind

Today someone accidentally bumped into me and quickly apologized. I said it was okay immediately and then realized it was not only okay, I was almost grateful, since it's so rare I experience human touch unless I hug a good friend or she hugs me.

I joked about it with another friend who was there at the time and she said, perfectly seriously, "There's a name for that."

When I asked her what she meant she told me the term was "skin hunger," which I'd never heard used before:

skin hunger
When you've been without a date for a long, long time, haven't seen your Mom for ages, and no one has hugged you forever and you need someone to touch and hug you, that's skin hunger.
 

To complicate things I'd been having the same dream each night this week that someone was hugging me (a pure and simple hug) and that each time I woke from the dream it was almost a physical pain to discover it wasn't real.

My dreams (as I imagine a lot of people's are) often hurt because they feel so real. I sometimes wonder why more people don't talk about them on a regular basis, they're so fascinating...

Sometimes dreams and longing for something you can never have are one and the same...they certainly are both equally elusive.

No comments: