Thursday, January 15, 2015

odds and ends...


Just like my iPod always seems to know what mood I am when I put it on shuffle, books seem to jump into my arms at just the right time. I pulled Paul Bowles off the shelf today because the particular one in question was a Library Of America book and I'm always lulled by a collection I haven't seen before. 

I had just smiled at someone I know and been greeted with what could have been nothing intentional but certainly seemed like an icy response. Then I looked back down at the book and the page I had opened:


It seemed to Kit that each time he looked at her it was as if he suspected her of harboring secret and reprehensible motives. The resentment she felt at his accusatory gaze helped her to regain a little of her lost sense of reality. "I'm sure he doesn't look at everyone that way." She thought. "Then why me?" But she felt too utterly dependent upon the man to allow herself the satisfaction of letting him perceive anything of her reactions.


The exactness of it kind of startled me, but of course it was pure coincidence. There are some people who believe things like this:

https://www.thetreeofawakening.com/synchronicity/

and others who think of coincidences in a more balanced way:

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/02/27/science/1-in-a-trillion-coincidence-you-say-not-really-experts-find.html




On a slightly related note, if you've never checked out the Library Of America series, you should:

http://loa.org





All I know for sure when I encounter people I worry I've offended and therefore (I think) that is why they're being abrupt is that I can't be the same way back. I try to balance being nice with not showing just how much I like them. And when I'm that situation I'm always so tense I feel my smile is more like the Joker's than someone who has genuine good intentions. :(

It's so hard sometimes to know how to be with certain people. But, in general, with people who are not always nice, it's still important to be kind:



 
And it really does seem like the more kind you are to an unkind person, the more they respond positively. We never really know what's going on in someone else's life and what they may be suffering...everyone needs kindness and love in their lives.






 

No comments: