Tuesday, February 24, 2015

They say you always regret the things you didn't do. I'm not really sure who "they" are...I've heard this said too many times to quote one source. The thing is, though, I don't regret the things I didn't do, but some of the things I did do.

In romantic comedies and sitcoms, people always encourage person A (in love and unsure of reciprocation) to go forth and tell person B. And it almost always turns out that B has always felt the same and there is usually a beautifully touching, sometimes awkward, but always ending well, scene. This, however, is terrible (terrible!) advice in real life.

When I was younger I did this and the results went beyond embarrassing. The person I told never talked to me again. I vowed then and there I would never tell someone I liked her again, certainly not someone outside of close friendship or family and most definitely not someone I romantically liked. It was horribly uncomfortable for the person I told and I hated (absolutely hated) that I hadn't gone with my gut instinct which was to keep quiet and sit on it.

Intuition is amazing, I think, and it has almost never failed me, though I have failed it when I've pushed on despite my first instinct not to. Regretting what you did do (in my opinion) hurts just as much, if not more, than regretting what you didn't do.

There's a much re-pinned post on Pinterest I saw recently that goes "Silence can never be misquoted." That's my new mantra whenever possible and my intuition (something that kept me from doing something totally embarrassing and even life-changing a few weeks ago) I hope to never disregard again. It's far more rational than the heart.


An interesting article on intuition:

http://www.learning-mind.com/the-truth-and-science-behind-the-amazing-intuition-of-humans/

No comments: