Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Insomnia continues to be a constant companion and yet it leaves me unable to really do anything completely worthwhile. You can only reorganize your pantry so many times and you cannot vacuum or move furniture around in the middle of the night. I am too exhausted to really read anything with good focus or to watch tv or movies that are "new"to me...so I go with reruns and dvds I have seen a million times before. Right now my best friends are "Fringe," "Frasier" and "Golden Girls."

Last night I watched a "Frasier" I must have seen dozens of times before, but this time I took it to heart more than I remember having done in the past. The episode (titled: "The Show Where Lilith Comes Back") is from the first season and though Lilith tells Frasier she wants to get back together (that doesn't exactly go according to plan and mayhem soon ensues) at the heart of this episode is how she is so lonely, which she tells Frasier in one of her character's most vulnerable scenes ever. She is so non-Lilith (in other words, not wearing her usual tough and icy exterior), the moment is very touching and Frasier (non-pompous and genuinely consoling) reassures her that even if she never meets anyone, she will handle whatever comes her way because of who and how she is.

I felt like that moment leaped off the screen and into the part of me that needed to hear something like that. And I wish people said things like that in real life. It is not cold at all, but a refreshing truth and far, far better than some well-meaning person (who really has no way of seeing the future) telling you your day will come and that 'right person' is right around that corner you will turn someday.

Maybe that day won't come and maybe I won't meet someone and life might not be the way I wanted it to be, but it will be okay. Though Lilith is often the butt of Martin, Daphne and Nile's jokes (or fear), I really think she is seen in a positive light most of the time: a tough and strong woman who does sometimes show her fragile side and lives to tell about it.


No comments: