Tuesday, November 17, 2015







For many reasons, I have not dated in a long, long time but when I used to and certain topics would come up in conversation, the other person would often be bewildered (or worse, horrified) that I felt waiting was important. So when I read this article, so, so much of it speaking to me, the relief was almost intensely overwhelming...and even though I no longer date nor plan to, I still feel this immense relief and less freakish and alone for having some of the views I have as a single and celibate lesbian:

 
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/11/gay-waiting-for-marriage/414984/


After I read this article I did some online searching and I discovered that there are more women than I thought that feel this way...and the advent and legalization of gay marriage in our country has made this even more apparent and an actual reality. There would have been a time (there was a time) when people (including other gay people) would have looked at someone sideways and with great skepticism over wanting to wait for marriage.

Articles like the one above and others I found are nice for me because they comfort me that I am not only the 'old-fashioned' lesbian out there, something a friend of mine once told me was an oxymoron. Because of certain circumstances in my life I have just always known that I would most likely end up single for all of my life.

Even so, just knowing that there are other people out there like me, people who value love above all other aspects of being gay or lesbian, well, that just makes me somehow feel a lot less alone...even if I really do never met the woman with whom I want to spend the rest of my life.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/some-gay-couples-putting-off-sex-until-after-205248087.html

No comments: